Thursday, May 2, 2013

Luka and Lara.

There are eleventy-hundred things to price in the shop, and eleventy-hundred more things to do but while  loading pieces and helping lovely folks, my mind and heart are stuck.  I gotta write it out.

Here's the long and short of it.  I have a friend named Lara.  We met while volunteering for the same dog rescue a few years ago.  She is the most passionate, true to her word, down and dirty, heart of gold, snarky, opinionated, driven, selfless, smart and kind person I have ever met.  The hardest working twenty-something I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.  She works and lives dog rescue 24 hours a day.  Everyday.  It's just who she is.  Through and through.  

Ok, so Lara has four dogs.  Two are rescues she adopted.  These guys:  
 Peter.
Charlie.
They are darling, no?
Well, Lara has these two other dogs that she is the full time mama for.  
She rescued these guys.  Because of her, they are happy and loved.
Meet Churchill on the right, and Luka on the left.
They are also adorable, no?
They are also dying.

His heart is too big and he will not live a long time.  So he has a bucket list.  Here he is with Lara, enjoying #11:  Eating at a restaurant.  
Fortunately, Church has no known pain or symptoms from his illness, he just has to be pretty lazy and thankfully, that's no prob for him.
Unbearably and unfairly his life will be cut short.  But Lara and Co are making sure he has the best time during his time and many people have joined in to help.

Luka is a bit different.

And I mean on top of sleeping on Lara's head nightly...
At his vet appointment today, Luka was diagnosed with stage 4 renal disease.  He is only 17 months old.  The best times in his life have been spent with Lara, the times he has felt the love and devotion that every dog deserves.  And now she must lose him too.  
He also feels sick sometimes, is not well without help, and she must watch this.
This is so bad and makes me cry constantly.
He may have less time than Church.  He needs much support and on the double to extend his life by a year, two, or three.  He needs proper nutrition, and his fluids are 60.00 per day alone.  This is the post I read on Luka's page today:
My fluids alone at $60 a day will be around $1800 a month, not including my special diet, medication, and continual blood work (every 2 months.)
My people are very very sad today, but I'm just happily laying on my bed chewing on a bone - giving kisses to anyone who comes in the office.
As my health declines my medical bills will increase, and my friends could really use some help taking care of me.
Even if you can't donate please share my story, every dollar helps!!

This is what I saw on Lara's facebook today:
Breakin my heart, kiddo.

So.
I can't stand it.  My heart is broken for Lara and Luka.
Can we do something please?
For them??
Here is a list of things you can do in 3 minutes or less:
Like Luka on Facebook:  click here.
Share Luka on Facebook.
Share this blog post.
If you can, please donate.
Donate any amount of money...1 dollar, 5 dollars....to Luka's care.
  

Luka has never met a dog he didn't love.
How many of us can say that about our fellow people?
Will saving Luka or helping him live the life he deserves change a crazy, messed-up world?
Nope.
But it will change his world.
And you will feel good about this.
And you will be happier for doing this good thing.
And you will inspire someone else to do a good thing.
You will help a rescuer have hope so she can continue to change the world for all of us that are weak and cry at their desk while writing a blog post.

Lara has no idea I am writing this.

This is because I love her and who she is and what she does.  
I get positive reinforcement all day long from the sweetest people in the world:  you guys.
I want all of that to go to Lara.  
She is a hero.  I just paint and sell stuff and write silliness on Facebook.

Be a hero for Luka and Lara today.  Please?
Luka and his buddies will thank you:

Me too.

XO,
Mandi

Update:
August 16, 2014

Lara's Luka made the trip to heaven in the early morning hours of
August 15th, 2014.

Peacefully and surrounded by his mama and aunties who loved him so.

I was so lucky to get to meet this boy who stole my heart this last 
January. 
I cried all the way home, thinking his time was near.

7 more months he rallied. His kidneys failed him but he had the heart of a champion. 

Thank you for the generous donations and love you sent when
Luka needed them.
Please send your good thoughts, condolences, and strength to 
Lara and 
The Churchill Foundation family as they continue their amazing work.














No comments:

Post a Comment